Welcome to the Challenge and GT Screening Information Webpage.
Check back often for screening information and documents as they become available. If you are interested in having your child screened for GT, watch your child's Take Home Folder for information and Parent Checklists. T hese forms are also available online from www.katyisd.org. Look under Departments > Gifted and Talented. Make sure you download both the information page and the correct checklist by grade level.
I am at Golbow on Tuesday and Wednesday each week. Email is my preferred method of communication for questions about the screening process or Challenge Program.
2015-16 GT Screening Due Dates
Requests for screening (Parent Checklists) must be submitted by the following dates:
5th grade - Monday September 21, 2015
Kindergarten - Wednesday October 7, 2015
- Three GT information sessions will be held for parents of kindergarten students on October 1. Two sessions will take place at the Merrell Center, one at 10:00 AM and another at 1 PM. An evening session will be held at 7:00 PM at Stephens Elementary School. A Spanish translation is available at the evening session. Kindergarten parents who would like more information about the gifted and talented program and the screening process may attend any of the sessions.
1st - 4th grades - Friday December 11, 2015
- On November 19, 2015 @ 7:00 pm, in room 1200 at the Education Support Complex, a parent awareness session will be held for parents of students in grades 1-4 who are interested in screening their child for the GT program.
2015-16 Challenge Schedule
Tuesday - 1st and 2nd grade Challenge
Wednesday - 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade Challenge
Lunch and recess vary depending on the day.
Students will be released from Challenge to attend specials with their class.
The over-arching theme for Challenge this year is Patterns.
- Interrelationships among parts of a system reveal patterns.
- Patterns may be predictable
- Patterns help us make sense of and use information
Unit 1 - Geological Forces:
- The surface of the earth is constantly changing.
- The movement of earth's tectonic plates causes geological events.
Unit 2 - Cranial Connections
- The human brain is structured to manage a wide variety of tasks.
- Individuals may be gifted in a variety of ways.
- Throughout time, gifted individuals have made an impact in their field .
Unit 3 - Oceanography
- The oceans are an important source of natural and economic resources that are important to sustaining human populations on earth.
- The ocean is home to a diversity of life, which is affected by human activity.
- Ocean patterns such as tides and currents impact the human environment.